Friday, 10 February 2012

Mystery Story Starters

The beginning of a story needs to be a 'hook'.
Something that grabs the reader and won't let them go until the end of the story.
For some writers this is the hardest part.
Here are some suggestions for story starters:

  • I didn’t see the blood at first.
  • Then I wished I hadn’t.
  • A shiver across the back of my neck was the first sign of trouble.
  • I froze. Someone was in the house. I couldn’t see them. But I knew it.
  • What have I done?
  • I wish I had never come here.
  • If I hadn’t decided to clean out my wardrobe, I wouldn’t have been kneeling on the floor. And if I hadn’t been kneeling on the floor, I wouldn’t have been hidden when he arrived.
  • ‘No, stop. Please don’t!’
  • ‘I trusted you.’
  • I know what you did.
  • How can I ever get out of this one?
  • I knew she was lying.
  • Every year on the first of April I take out my shoe box.
  • I wish I hadn’t seen her. But it’s too late now.
  • How can you tell if someone’s guilty?
  • I never thought I was squeamish. That was until today.
  • The photo was gone.
  • He thinks I’m an idiot. But he has no idea what I’ve done.
  • I never dreamed I’d have to investigate this sort of thing. But no one else will do it.
  • No one believes me. I have to make someone listen.
  • Should I tell or not?
  • Dead. Dead. Dead.
  • I saw it in his eyes. Before he moved, I knew what he was going to do.
  • I was trapped!
  • It started with a wrong number.
  • I heard that he said something just before he died. I have to find out what it was.
  • It was locked. Firmly. Solidly. What could I do now?
  • At first I thought it was a prank call. Some kid with nothing to do. Then I realised it could be true. Probably was true.
  • It was the smell that first attracted my attention.
  • I had no idea there was a secret room in our house. Not until I heard the noise.
  • I began to wonder about her when I realised there were no photos of her. Not a single one.
  • I knew I shouldn’t take it. But I did. And I’ll be sorry for the rest of my life. It was only a little thing. But it caused so much trouble.
  • Victim. It was just a word in the dictionary. Until today.
  • Some secrets can kill.

For more story starters, click here

No comments: